Frequently Asked Questions

image20

Anne Frank House

The link to buy OFFICIAL tickets to the Anne Frank House is: 

https://www.annefrank.org/en/museum/tickets/choose-your-ticket/


Once the site, you can decide on regular entrance or for €5 more, a 30 minute introductory talk which I find to be of very good quality. Note that 80% of the tickets are released exactly two months in advance at 12.00 hours. However, the remaining 20% are released on this website on the day itself at 9 AM. 


Please try not to buy tickets from any other source than the Anne Frank House itself. There are ticket brokers who sell them onward for higher prices. 


Tour guides are not allowed to take you through the Anne Frank House. If you make reservations to visit, however, we can build your private walking tour of Amsterdam around those specific timings and talk about her life and WWII. We have lots of information about Jewish Heritage and can even include in your walk a stop at the most beautiful synagogue in Amsterdam. 

Do you do windmills and countryside tours?

There are larger, more commercial companies that can take you by coach out to see windmills and towns like Volendam at competitive prices. We can certainly do a private version for you, but I think this is another wonderful activity to do on your own, using public transportation.  


For example, you can take a public bus to Zaanse Schans. In the river Zaan region, this is a unique part of the Netherlands, full of 19th century wooden houses, mills, barns and workshops. They also have several working windmills to visit. This link offers information how to reach the windmills by bus from the back side of Amsterdam Centraal Station https://www.dezaanseschans.nl/en/plan-your-visit/accessibility/

Do you take people to the Keukenhof tulip gardens?

Many guests ask if we offer tours of the Keukenhof. I’ve been there countless times and honestly, you can easily visit these gardens yourself because the grounds are very self explanatory, well mapped, and it is lovelier to simply go at your own pace. 


How do you get there? There are combined entry + bus tickets that pick you up from the centre of Amsterdam.


See this link for more details:

https://keukenhof.nl/en/how-to-get-there/


Keukenhof also offers boat rides, cycling tours, and in-house guided tours:

https://keukenhof.nl/en/facilities/activities/

Cycling the countryside on your own

Here are some routes with which to immerse yourself on bike in the Dutch countryside:

https://www.hollandbovenamsterdam.com/en/to-do/cycling-in-holland-above-amsterdam/5-bikeroutes-you-shouldn-t-miss/

Intellectual Pursuits

Here are a couple places to attend lectures and films about current affairs, books, and culture. They're a great way to spend an afternoon or evening. 


Spui 25 Series. Visit the University of Amsterdam’s afternoon and evening lectures held in the very centre of town on important topics in our time. They are mostly free and only require signing up before hand. https://www.spui25.nl/programma/programma.html


Pakhuis de Zwijger. Housed in an old warehouse (pakhuis) this venue has a restaurant on the waterfront and holds films, debates, and other events. https://dezwijger.nl/agenda

Is the HollandPass worth it?

The Pass is good if you are planning to visit a lot of paid attractions and museums while you are here. There are three sizes (S, M, L) and ranking each thing you can visit as gold or silver. Gold are more expensive attractions. 


Example. The Small Pass is worth one gold and two silvers and cost €45 in 2020.  The Rijksmuseum is ranked one Gold and the Van Gogh two Silvers, so they would be the only thing you would see with the Small Holland Pass. Since both cost nearly €20 each to get in, or €40 for both, this Small Pass is not a savings because you are paying an additional €5 for some reason.


But maybe it’s worth it if you see more than just two museums. Look at the Golds, then the Silvers...see which ones are a MUST do for you...and then calculate the size of the Pass that fits best. BUT do check the individual tickets from each museum first, to make sure this is saving you money.